Additional support as you get older.

Clinical Care Co-ordinators

As you get older the range of problems you face can grow, to the point where it might be difficult to cope, know what to do for the best, or make it difficult for you to leave your house.

We have a team of nurses at the practice who support older people with complex needs to sort out problems you can find yourself faced with.

The sorts of things they can help you with are:

  • Mobility issues.
  • Memory problems.
  • Loneliness and isolation.
  • Housing issues.
  • Practical issues such as help dressing and cleaning.
  • Health issues.

Their role is to help you understand the range of services available and support you in deciding the best course of action.

If you feel they could be of help, then ask your doctor to put you in touch.

District Nurses

District Nurses are responsible for nursing needs within the community and can be contacted at Meanwood Health Centre on 0113 843 3355.

District Nurses carry out many roles for housebound patients, including:

  • General nursing procedures and investigations.
  • Post-surgery care.
  • Assessment of patients’ needs.
  • Care for terminally ill patients.
  • Loaning of equipment.
  • Looking after wounds and leg ulcers.
  • Educating patients about self-care.

Referrals can be made by a Dr or nurse at the practice, patients themselves or by carers and family members.

Community Matron

Lesley MacDonald is our Community Matron.

Community matrons specialise in caring for older people, whether they live in their own home or a care home. They help patients manage their health problems and try to prevent unnecessary admissions to hospital.

If a patient has to be admitted, they will communicate with the hospital team to ensure a smooth a discharge as possible.

Dementia services

It is especially important that anyone who has problems with their memory has a proper assessment. If these problems are due to dementia then early diagnosis and referral have many benefits for the patient, their carer(s) and family. It can help them to plan and access the treatment and support they need and to improve their quality of life.

Please book with one of Doctor's who can make the initial assessment and refer you to the memory clinic if needs be.

Adult Social Care

Leeds city council help people aged over 18 to live as well as possible with their illness, disability, or other problems. It can include help with things like washing, dressing, eating, getting out and about and keeping in touch with family and friends.

Adults who may need extra care and support include:

  • Older people
  • People with learning disabilities
  • People with physical disabilities
  • People with mental health problems
  • People with drug and/or alcohol issues
  • Carers

They offer a wide range of support and help and their adult social care page is a good place to start.

Or call them 0113 222 4401 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm)

This can be done by you, a family member, a friend.

If you have difficulty using the telephone, please email them at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..